11 May 2009

Musings, Part U

- So Star Trek...was awesome. And (warning, spoilers) while I'm upset that they killed Vulcan, I'm kinda happy for Spock, finally gets a girl. The ship was gorgeous, having Leonard Nimoy in it was awesome. The whole alternate, parallel, reality thing might appease some diehards I think, and be interesting for those of us who like the time episodes (as in, I'm one of them). I really, really enjoyed it. And have listened to the soundtrack on repeat since I got home from the movie yesterday.
- This will likely be the space post, surprise surprise, I know. Anyway, last Hubble mission lifts off today. That is one thing I miss about home (Florida), being able to see the shuttle launches.
Special Tools Required For Last Call to Hubble. Space Shuttle Blasts Off on Hubble Telescope Mission, on schedule and with no problems. Yay!
- And of course, various articles with spoilers for the film and about the box office numbers. NY Times:
Starship Franchise Zooms to Top of Box Office, The Two Sides of 'Star Trek'. Washington Post: Star Trek: The Early Days of Kirk, Spock, Bones, Star-crossed lovers: 'Trek' ship mates lock lips, Hank Stuever Essay: The Trouble With Quibbles and Niche Fandom. And for real science in Star Trek, PRI: Warp Speed Ahead!. Oh, and dropping by SNL: Update Feature: Star Trek. Too bad none of them got to host.
- Joss Whedon on commentary...singing!
This American Life: Return to the Scene of the Crime, his section starts at 27:52. I really need to get this DVD now...
- So, I'm one of those people who like languages from sci-fi and fantasy works. From the computer series starting with Myst I have a thing on the D'Ni language and I use the numbering system. From Tolkien I have the Languages of Middle Earth book (see name of blog for an example) and yes, I use the words all over the place from my email address to my AIM screenname. So articles like this? Kind of up my alley:
There's No Klingon Word for Hello.

No comments: