08 May 2009

Musings, Part T

- For this one, I think...well, it speaks for itself: The Fat-Alien Sings: A Klingon Language Opera. Best part of it is, they're serious opera people.
- Continuing with the Star Trek news articles:
A Mind Meld Q&A With Leonard Nimoy. Aww: 'Star Trek's' Familiar Face. Newsweek's Pop culture blog Pop Vox: But...What If I'm Not a Trekkie? You become one. Duh. And of course from the BBC, the one guy no one in the US is talking about: Talking Shop: Simon Pegg. He's the Master (a la Doctor Who, the reincarnated version).
- You know, I go back and forth on whether I like Sylar on Heroes. I liked him during the whole duality arc when they explored how he could not be a psychopath, or you know, a homicidal egomanic with plans for dominiation or at least a fun blood bath, but now he's back to regular Sylar (only [to spoil the finale] now he's been forced into being Nathan so who knows how that'll play out, probably more duality which is always fun and may circle back to the Five Years future episode in Season 1) and I don't like him as much. Or tolerate him really. A lot of times you go back and forth on an actor depending on the roles they take, you love them or hate them based on who they play. Spock could redeem Quinto for me. Because Spock's awesome factor totally makes up for the whole serial killer thing.
New 'Trek' Star is a Chip Off the Old Spock. The thing is, I can totally see the correlation or at least how you could understand the casting. As Sylar he's rather restrained and collected for a serial killer, methodical one might say. And as Spock he has to be logical and collected while dealing with that whole mother was a human thing. The speech patterns can be the same just Spock doesn't use as much menace or the creepy smiles that Sylar would. And a nerve pinch is a lot less bloody than splicing their foreheads open when it comes to subduing enemies. Knock on wood but I hope all my postings about this movie mean my next, likely including my reactions to it, will be as positive and gleeful.
- On a rather more personal note, I now have a job. A real, permanent job as compared to the full time temp position I've had since late March. And just inside a full year after I graduated from college (just just inside since this weekend is graduation weekend at my university). In June I shall join the ranks of those employed by the federal government in DC. It may not have been where I originally thought I'd end up, or wanted to end up, in education policy, but it fits what I did throughout college (I only really physically got into the education part in my last year through an education class even though I'd been mulling it for a while) but it fits my goal when from after high school: it's in a department of the federal government. Yeah, public service wasn't as attractive when I was in high school, not like it is becoming now, but I was inspired by the West Wing, believe it or not. So I won't be changing the world by feeding hunger or stopping a disease but I'll be doing my part in the mechanism and making sure things work when and how they're supposed to. And I'm happy. A real job, a pretty good starting salary, and it fits what I wanted. How can you ask for more? And happy Mother's Day.

No comments: