18 May 2009

Musings, Part W

- Congrats to the 4 Kuwaiti women who just got elected to their parliament. They've only had the vote since 2005 but managed to get 4 women, all with Ph.Ds from US institutions, elected in the latest election. And one's a philosophy professor!
- And it's Upfronts week. Thankfully NBC already renewed Chuck, though for a shortened season that hopefully will be extended, ABC re-upped Castle and Better Off Ted (both great by the way) though passed on The Unusuals (which I wasn't terribly, terribly attached to anyway), and Fox re-upped Dollhouse, also good. I think NBC ditched Life though, which is sad but at least it had a partially wrapped up ending. Also read: Does Bringing Back 'Chuck' Mean a New Network Model?
- Back to the hooray for women news: Rachel Alexandra Takes Her First Step Toward Running in the Belmont. Take that Mine That Bird owner. Ha. Your jockey even abandoned the horse for the filly.
- Now I don't follow professional basketball at all but since when are the Magic any good? Magic Tops Celtics, Clearing Way for New Champion. All I remember about the Magic is that they always interrupted UPN and thus my Star Trek viewing. I think that was when Voyager was on...I really hated the team then. Probably still do. Still. When did they get decent?
- I must admit I'm conflicted about this: In Search of Europe: Sweden. Because I like the EU and I like IKEA. Maybe as an American I don't really completely understand the unwillingness to have broad, though uniform, standards and practices across a continent. We do that and, though bumpy and currently in a slump, look where it's gotten us. I will say that the store fosters an addiction...there's just so much stuff...and all so useful...gah. At the same time I'm backing the whole united states of Europe idea I still like the diverse history of the continent, and those two islands nearby and those two countries across the small sea that are connected but only ish.
- I have to say one of my favorite series of skits on SNL is Celebrity Jeopardy. I'm glad that they did one this past Saturday when Will Ferrell was back hosting. Hulu.com.
- A survey on surveys! How fun: Take Our Survey: Are There Too Many Surveys?

No comments: