21 April 2009

Musings, Part M

- I am not one of these people, thank God: Are We in a Narcissism Epidemic?. I didn't have a "sweet 16" party, I don't even remember what I did for that birthday...maybe went to Disney with my family? Probably. It might have been lunch at Cinderella's Table in the Castle in Magic Kingdom...maybe. I've never had plastic surgery and find the concept kind of squick (i.e. barely palatable, it feels wrong/an easy way out and if I'm not willing to work for a particular body type why should I be allowed to buy an external version of it?).
My parents were not the giving everything, asking nothing types. They were and are generous with meeting my interests (books mostly) and help me out financially when I need it (hopefully those days are at an end). I was also expected to help out around the house, which yes, was grating at the time. Was it good for me? Yes, and now that I'm almost 23 I can say that without caveats because, hey, maturity and the whole I have my own place thing. They weren't, and aren't, helicopter parents who suddenly swoop in (to make up for being distant and busy with work at all other times) when their precious baby starts to sniffle because something was unfair. Grow up moron and realize that yes, it was your fault and stop blaming others for your own failings/mistakes. (Students who whine about their teachers being "unfair" particularly get on my nerves because both of my parents are teachers and I know it's not their fault, it's the student. Besides, I never got away with blaming a teacher [not that I did beyond the one time but they were such a disappointment after having a wonderful teacher in that subject the year before and I couldn't get over the disparity at 15] so why should anyone else?)
Rules give us an ordered society. If you don't want to follow them and think your drinking is more important than taking a test at the scheduled time and more important than the brain cells you're killing? Go live on a commune and leave the rest of us to our structure. Education is and will always be more important than your so-called life experience. I just hope that when (perhaps if but it's too early to be thinking that) I have children I'm able to teach and nurture them like my parents did. Basically so they don't become self-absorbed airheads like so many I read about these days.
- For more on the teaching/teacher rant I just sort of gave read this:
Teaching: No 'Fallback' Career. Also, think about the fact that my homestate of Florida has now drastically cut back the education budget in both public schools and the state university system. One of the schools, FSU, is even slated cut at least 21 (I believe) majors from its offerings. Including one of the subjects my mother teaches. Things like this are why I wanted to into education policy, which is currently too hard to get into at my entry level. Maybe I'll be able to make a mid-career change one of these days.
- Pastis interview from last summer:
enjoy.
- Good for them:
Delegates Walk Out of Racism Conference Over Speech. I think the conference is a good idea but only if everyone is honest about the issue and their role in perpetuating the problem. And President of Iran? The Holocaust happened.
- On a lighter note: completely random:
Balloon Art by William Lamson.

No comments: