01 April 2009

Musings, Part D

- I adore Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book in the whole wide world. I read it several, well….just many times a year and usually that’s the whole thing, not just a good parts version which I admit I do with the BBC adaptation because while I can read Lydia, she’s just annoying on the screen so the second disc really comprises my “good parts” version when I watch it. I’ve read all of Austen’s novels, even Persuasion which I once vowed never to read because I heard it was her worst…funny, I know, considering the topic of the book (Northanger Abbey is now on the outs with me and Persuasion is as beloved as Mansfield Park with Emma close behind). I’ve been to the Jane Austen Center in Bath, I’ve walked up to the Royal Crescent where they filmed part of the 1995 version of Persuasion, I’m even a member of the Jane Austen Society of North America. Too bad there’s no membership card because that would be awesome. I’ve read the re-imaginings of the books, mostly the ones from the male lead’s perspective and seek out those re-imaginings online because really, some of them are quite good. Like I just finished an updated version of Persuasion where the guy writes about the end of their relationship and his current feelings towards his ex in a daily column in the Chicago Tribune and the girl is just as confused as Anne because his writings and actions don’t match up. It was great. I have the offshoots too: the Annotated Pride and Prejudice, The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen, a guide to regency life through her books, and others are on various to get lists. I have the movie versions and the soundtracks. I write all this to give background when I say that I’m quite excited to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I heard about it a while back and now that it’s finally coming out and getting attention I really can’t wait. He made Elizabeth even more awesome by having her fight zombies? Where’s the nearest bookstore? I might even see the Pride and Predator when it comes out though, aliens? Really? It’s probably strange that I’m more tolerant of the addition of sci-fi elements rather than some of the sequels that mess with the characters. Most of the sequels I won’t read. If you’re going to mess with the characters, do so inside the story itself don’t muck about with them after the fact. Don’t add more scandal that’s rather unnecessary as Austen has one rake per book, don’t make a nice guy into one too. For further stuff on the zombie book and the various re-imaginings/mucking abouts see Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, Oh My!. And the mystery series? Sounds awesome. I bet they’d be like Nick and Nora…
- By the way, for those of you curious about the Pride and Predator thing, check this out:
In New Movie, Alien Attacks Austen-Era Britain.
- I agree with this entry’s title wholeheartedly,
‘ER’: No, It’s Still on TV. And Has Been Since Man Discovered Fire. Except the blogger forgot Law and Order in the list of long running shows. Because it? Really has been on for freaking forever. And the only version I like? Just started in the UK. Hey, they wear wigs and Lee from BSG’s in it. Thus, I watch. Besides, it’s a fascinating look at the British legal system. And it makes me pine for London.
- Thank goodness:
Facebook Backpedals As An Angry Mob Waves Pitchforks. I have always been proud of Facebook for not being MySpace, I didn’t want it to be Twitter. I wonder if they still have the pirate language feature…
- April Fool’s happenings:
CADIE. Pretty sure it’s an April Fool’s Joke, if only because it was posted at 11:59:59 on March 31…and of course I had to Google it and it is:
Google’s April Fools’ Prank Tradition Continues with CADIE; NPR: No Lions And Orioles And Bears? Oh My!. This one’s truly scary: Twitter switch for Guardian, after 188 years of ink. Apparently the Brits really embrace April Fool’s: Martin Wainwright on some of the silliest April Fools tricks . I really like the one about the M25 and I think it could be adopted for DC’s Beltway or I-4 in Orlando.

No comments: